Tuesday, March 24, 2009

MI comic events

Michigan Comics Events:
Three big events are coming up for the Michigan comic community! And I am fortunate enough to be a part of them all! Here is the rundown:

MSU Comics Forum:
Held every year on the beautiful campus of Michigan State University, The Michigan State University Comics Forum is an an event that brings together scholars, creators, and fans in order to explore celebrate the medium of comics, graphic storytelling, and sequential art.
I'll be delivering the keynote speech on Friday March 27th at 7PM and I'll be on a comic creators panels on Saturday March 28th. The events are free to all
here is the link for more information

Michigan Comics: MIRTH, MOCKERY AND MAYHEM
My Art History Professor at Eastern Michigan University (EMU) has been putting on shows about comic originals as art for a number of years. This time, he and Michigan-based cartoonist Dave Coverly have co-curated a show featuring solely Michigan-based artists working in graphic storytelling from the past and present. The show dates are March 31-June 5 in the University Gallery at the Student Center. There is also an opening reception/comics symposium on the 31st from 7PM to 8:30PM. Three Mouse Guard originals will be part of the show and will tour with the show as it travels over the summer and early fall.
here is a link to the EMU Student Center for directions & maps

Visual Storytelling at the Gallery Project in Ann Arbor:
The uber-talented Katie Cook is co-curating a show at the Downtown Ann Arbor Gallery Project that will feature multiple works of sequential artwork. It looks to be a great collection of artists works and the focus is on the storytelling and the process of making artwork which tells a story. I'll have several Mouse Guard originals and a paper model I made as reference on display. The show runs April 15th through May 15th.
here is a link to the gallery project's site for hours and directions

Mouse Guard Winter #6
Is done! It is in the hands of Archaia now. The few friends who have seen the issue are enthusiastic about it. I'm pretty happy with it myself. I am terribly sorry it took so long to get to the end of that l-o-n-g winter, but it feels good to have 2 finished Mouse Guard story arcs under my belt. I feel that this series was an improvement over the Fall 1152 arc and even the later issues of Winter are better than the beginning issues. Currently I'm getting the extras for the hardcover ready...so bear with me, but I'm trying to get the work in by the deadline.

Covers:
I'm going to assume I can post these since they both appear on Boom's site. Here is the 2nd Muppet Robin Hood Cover and the 2nd Mr. Stuffins Cover.


Fan Art:
I met this young man at the NYCC who had a Lieam tattoo on his arm. I was flabbergasted. I asked him "You know those things are permanent, right?" and he smiled and replied "yes". I'm not a tattoo guy, so I'll never understand it, but I know to be flattered.


Upcoming Appearances:
MSU Comics Forum: March 27th & 28th
Emerald City Comic Con: April 4-5
Free Comic Book Day @ Detroit Comics: May 2nd
Motor City Comic Con: May 15-17

6 comments:

Mayhem said...

Congrats David on getting #6 finished! Does this mean the Winter hardcover might be available by San Diego? I'll be swinging by your stand anyhows during the con...

Unknown said...

when someone gets a tattoo of your work -- YOU HAVE ARRIVED

Rob said...

First of all, i'm very excited to finish the winter story arc! Congrats on finishing. Secondly, I know you've been exploring radio drama; so in case you haven't seen this, here is a series of lovecraft stories converted into a radio drama format: http://www.cthulhulives.org/radio/DART/index.html

Brandon said...

Oh boy since you mentioned it, I'm excited for the hardcover Winter even though #6 hasn't even hit the stands yet! Hardcover collections with bonus & extra materials = BEST EVER!

Tim Bolton said...

I don't think I have said this anywhere yet David (especially with the message forums down for the ASP site) - but MG: Winter 1152 issue 5 was absolutely brilliant! Well done on a gripping issue, can't wait for the conclusion.
And while I am here, I got the UK version of the Mouse Guard rpg (ie Titan) and it's great, can't stop picking it up to read a little more. I have a feeling I'll just use it as a resource more than a rpg, but you never know. Luke and yourself have done a wonderful job, and visually beautiful.

Hope all the conventions go well! Maybe one day soon I'll come to one (pond hopping) and pick up a sketch book!

One request - it would make my day to see a squirrel in MG. Make em good tho, and red!

Mayhem said...

Completely off-topic, but I just have to say that Forbidden Planet in the UK came through and my limited edition copy hardcover b/w of Fall 1152 arrived yesterday. Blown over is the least of what I can say. Love the extra pages for the rain :)

Blog Archive